What is Soul Care?
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”
- Matthew 22:37
In his book Soul Keeping, Pastor John Ortberg recalls Dallas Willard saying:
The most important thing in your life is not what you do; it’s who you become. That’s what you will take into eternity. You are an unceasing spiritual being with an eternal destiny in God’s great universe. Your soul is not just something that lives on after your body dies. It’s the most important thing about you. It is your life.
God cares about you, and about who you are becoming. It is therefore vitally important that we care for our souls, positioning ourselves in such a way as to allow God’s Spirit the most room to form us in the likeness of Christ.
To be a disciple of Jesus means to follow and be apprenticed to Jesus, constantly seeking to become more like him in every area of life. To be a disciple is to be always learning and growing. Doing this requires awareness and intentionality—being able to assess the current condition of our lives and making appropriate decisions to create space for God.
Here you'll find various resources to help you as you seek to love God with all you are:
- Information on our counseling and recovery ministry
- The SPIRE Plan, our soul care tool
- Our Learning to Live discipleship project
- Locations and directions for taking a spiritual retreat
- A place to share your prayer requests with us
- Resources on a variety of topics, including prayer, faith and race, and relationships